This recipe is a vegan twist on the classic fishcake. Fish is replaced with Jackfruit, which adds a lovely flavour and texture. The mashed potatoes help to combine the ingredients easily and give a smooth, creamy texture. Quick and easy, the fishless cakes are delicious served with a big mixed salad or steamed veggies. Yum!
- 450g floury potatoes
- 1 can of Jackfruit
- 100g Breadcrumbs
- 1 TBSP Ketchup
- 2 TSP English Mustard
- Zest of ½ Lemon (+ wedges to serve)
- 1 TBSP fresh Parsley (dry is optional)
- 1 TBSP fresh Dill (dry is optional)
- 1 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 1 TSP Smoked Paprika
- 2 TBSP Plant Milk (I use Soy)
- 1 TBSP Plant Butter (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel, chop and boil the potatoes in lightly salted water. Drain and mash with a little plant milk and/or butter.
- Drain Jackfruit. Season Jackfruit with Salt, Pepper & Smoked Paprika.
- Using kitchen scissors ‘flake’ (chop) the Jackfruit into small pieces.
- To the mashed potatoes, add Ketchup, Mustard, Dill, Parsley, Lemon Zest and mix.
- Combine the mash and Jackfruit pieces. Mold into 6 Fishcake shapes.
- Add Nutritional Yeast to the breadcrumbs, Mix.
- Coat each JackCake with breadcrumbs by using a little plant milk to wet the surface first – this helps the breadcrumbs to stick.
- Grill for 10 mins each side, until golden (or oven bake at 180oC for about 25 mins)
- Great served with a mixed salad or steamed veggies.